19 Dec Top 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Art
Top 5 Tips On How To Protect Your Art
At ArtChain Global’s head office in Melbourne, Australia, we’re very much aware of the natural disasters that may strike at any moment. Large bushfires, flooding because of heavy rainfall, and cyclones are in the news way more often than we like and with global warming this is likely to only increase.
As an artist it’s important to be aware of how natural disasters can potentially destroy your art and put measures in place to protect your art.
It’s not just natural weather disasters that can destroy your art. Here are some other examples:
- Basements generally have higher humidity levels and if you’re storing paintings there they may well be affected by mould.
- A burst water pipe can flood a room in which you’re storing paintings.
- Excessive exposure to sunlight may alter the colours of a painting and melt oils.
However, these types of natural misfortunes – also called Acts of God – are not the only way your art can be damaged. So-called Acts of Man, such as theft, robberies and vandalism, can also harm your art collection.
We have identified 5 ways of how to protect your art:
1. Take out appropriate insurance
An obvious first step to protect the value of your artworks is by taking out the appropriate insurance. Make sure your coverage includes both Acts of God and Acts of Man and read the clauses very carefully. Many insurance companies have very tight terms and conditions and may not protect your artwork under certain circumstances. While it’s not everyone’s favourite task, it’s worthwhile shopping around to find the best insurance for your artworks. After all, once disaster strikes you want to ensure you’re covered appropriately.
2. Store artwork in a dry and safe place
A good second step is to ensure that you store your artwork in a dry and safe place out of direct sunlight. There is plenty of inexpensive equipment you can purchase to ensure your artwork is in a good environment. When you don’t want to look at your art on a daily basis, you can invest in secure plastic bags or storage craters. If the environment may become a bit damp and humid, invest in an air dehumidifier to protect the artwork from being affected by humidity.
3. Ensure you have a good security system
Especially when you have high value artworks it’s worthwhile investing in a state of the art security system. You should look for security systems that alert you in real time when an accident like a burglary or robbery occurs, so that action can be undertaken immediately and proactively while the incident is occurring.
Even when your artworks are not of immense monetary value, they will mean a lot to you and you want to make sure they are protected. There are a lot of home security systems that you can purchase for a small price. While these systems may not notify you in real time that an incident is occurring, it will provide you with the peace of mind that you have evidence of the incident happening. This will help you with any claims you need to make with your insurance company.
4. Protect your documentation
What you don’t want to happen is for your documentation to get lost when a disaster does occur. At art registry and trading platform ArtChain Global we want to help artists fulfil this part of their profession by rewarding them with ArtChain Global points, for uploading information about their art.
This information includes insurance documents, photographs of the artwork, appraisals, the title of the artwork, a description of the artwork etc. On top of that, the platform automatically keeps documentation about the entire transaction history of an artwork, such as invoices of past sales and certificates of authenticity.
As the platform is built on secure blockchain technology, your documents are stored safely, cannot be altered by 3rd parties, and will be kept indefinitely which means your legacy is protected in the future.
5. Protect your artwork with an IoT device
When you have really valuable artworks you might want to go one step further. ArtChain Global enables their customers to protect their artwork with Internet of Things (IoT) devices. An IoT device can be attached to an artwork, such as a painting, and can objectively and autonomously monitor various conditions in real time without people having to check the conditions all the time. The IoT device has a commercial life of about 8 to 10 years so it’s a great long term investment.
As the user of the IoT device you can predetermine the parameters in which your artwork is to be kept and you will get notified when these parameters are breached. Or even better, you can get notified when the conditions are becoming closer to the parameters being breached. In that way, there is still time to remedy what’s happening as opposed to being notified when artworks have already been damaged.
Some of the information ArtChain Global’s IoT devices can monitor in real time are:
- Temperature: This allows users to get notifications when the temperature is becoming too low or too high.
- Location: You can see at what location your artwork is at any stage and get notified when your artwork is moved. In the case of a burglary, this will enable you to track and trace your artwork while it’s being moved. We do encourage you to share this information with the authorities and not to take matters into your own hands.
- Humidity: Similar to temperature, you can monitor the humidity levels of the environment in which an artwork is kept to ensure an artwork isn’t damaged.
- Pressure: The pressure on the artwork can be measured, such as the pressure on the canvas of a painting, to ensure that the artwork isn’t damaged. The IoT device can also send an alert when it has been removed from the artwork. When this happens, it may be an indication that someone is trying to tamper with/counterfeit your artwork or that the artwork is subject to theft.
There is some flexibility with the IoT devices. You can choose to have one IoT device monitor the environmental conditions of your entire artwork collection, provided they’re kept in the same room and as such exposed to the same conditions.
However, the advantages of having one IoT device per artwork are that you can also tell whether an artwork has been moved or whether the IoT device has been removed from a specific artwork. Having one IoT device monitoring a specific artwork can also be a competitive advantage when you’re thinking of selling the artwork in the future, as you can guarantee the provenance of the artwork.
It will allow the buyer to see where the artwork is at any stage of the shipping process as the shipping conditions can be tracked in real time. Furthermore, the buyer can be ensured that if the IoT device was never removed from the artwork, and the shipping conditions were in order, that the original artwork was sold to them and that it was shipped to them in the best possible conditions.
Other Advantages of ArtChain Global
Apart from keeping all the documentation of your artworks indefinitely and protecting your artwork from being damaged or stolen, ArtChain Global has many more advantages, such as:
- It’s a global art gallery and enables artists to showcase their art to anyone in the world, while art buyers can find art from artists all over the world.
- Resale royalty payments to the original artist can be paid automatically.
- Protection of intellectual property: Only the original artwork can be registered on the platform, which means that someone who has counterfeited your original artwork isn’t able to register the artwork.
If you’re interested in protecting your artwork with ArtChain Global’s solutions, go to www.artchainglobal.com and register your interest to get notified when the platform goes live in early 2019.